BBQ tips and recipes

Options

Its barbeque season and as always, we can always use some tips so please post your tips and recipes and pictures so we all can enjoy.

Tips for cleaning your bbq. Here are a couple I have used if you have others, please post them for all to try.

Myself I use the Dawn Ultra Power wash spray let sit 10-15 minutes on cooled grate depending on how dirty it is then take a sponge with scrubbing pad scrub it down then rinse it. If super dirty sometimes u need to do it a second time.

You can also burn off the grates by turning your grill up high for 5-10 minutes depending on how dirty it is and then turn off then take a wire brush to the grates. This also kills any bacteria left on the grates.

I also wrap the catch pan in the bottom of bbq with tin foil it sure makes cleaning easier.

Potato Salad with bacon,egg and cheese

Boil 1 bag of baby red potatoes until cooked but still firm

Boil 4 eggs

Chop up into small pieces 2 pieces of celery and 1 medium onion

Grate up ¾ cup of cheese (I use marble)

Miracle Whip I use about a cup but some people like more or less do it to your taste.

6 slices of bacon cooked and chopped into pieces

Seasoning Salt

Pepper

Parsley flakes

Paprika

If you like it spicy you can add a little chilli powder

Cook potatoes but don’t over cook leave them on the firm side and I throw my eggs in with the potatoes when potatoes are about halfway cooked.

Fry bacon set aside on paper towel to drain and cool then cut into pieces.

While potatoes and eggs are cooking grate your cheese and cut up onions and celery

Once potatoes are cook and cooled enough to handle in a bowl cut into bite size pieces remove eggs from shell and slice them then add celery onions bacon spices add Miracle whip and mix. Once it mixed then add the cheese lightly stir in cheese. Save a bit of the bacon cheese and 1 egg to decorate top of the salad. Once all mixed springle the leftover cheese bacon and egg on top garish with some parsley flakes and paprika. Cover refrigerate til needed. Last about 3-4 days in fridge.

FOIL PACK VEGGIES

A quick and easy way to do up veggies for the bbq is foil packs.

Take the veggies of your choice I usually use.

Baby red potatoes cut into pieces.

Sliced onions.

Sliced mushrooms.

Asparagus or baby carrots (baby carrots takes long time to cook I usually par boil them about half cooked first.

Butter

Mince garlic

Your choice of other spices I use seasoning salt paprika parsley flakes pepper.

You can also garnish with some bacon bits and cheese if wanted as soon as you open them.

Take a piece of tin foil large enough to wrap a single serving of the veggies in and put 3 teaspoons of butter on the tinfoil. In a bowl put all veggies and sprinkle with your spices and mix then put your veggies on the tin foil leaving room at each end to fold over then add 3 more teaspoons of butter to the top of veggies. Wrap veggies and I usually wrap them again in another piece of tin foil the opposite way I wrapped the first time this helps to stop the butter from leaking out once it melts. Place on the the bbq grates for about 20 minutes turning it at 10 minutes then move these to the upper rack of bbq and let finish cooking 40 minutes or more if bigger foil packs. Carefully pull open and enjoy.

KABOBS

\Marinate

1 cup regular Soya Sauce if using dark Soya sauce add in about ¼ cup water

1-2 teaspoons fresh grated Ginger

4-5 Tablespoons Liquid Honey

1-2 teaspoons Minced Garlic

1 teaspoon Parsley flakes

Mix this together well.

4 large boneless chicken breasts or beef (your choice of type of beef) cut into 1-2 inch cubes

Marinate chicken or beef 24 hours in the above marinate.

Veggies

Red, Yellow, Orange peppers cut into bite size pieces

Large onion cut into pieces (top to bottom of onion) about ½ inch thick

Mushrooms leave whole.

Baby tomatoes

If you are using bamboo skewers soak in water for at least 4 hours before adding meat and veggies otherwise they will burn on bbq and break.

Once ready to start making kabobs alternate 1 piece of meat and one veggie depending on how large your skewers are you can get about 4-6 pieces of meat and veggies per skewer.

Once done take to bbq on medium heat place your skewers and with left over marinate brush on each time you turn the kabobs should be turned 4 times to make sure meat is evenly cooked and cook until meat is done.

These can also be frozen and used later if you use fresh meat, but the veggies are not as good once frozen. I vac seal mine it seems to help keep the veggies better.

If you vac seal make sure you have meat or veggie covering the pointed end of the skewer as they will break threw the bag.

GRILLED PEPPERS

Quick and easy side dish for almost anything you bbq.

Take 2 of each Red, Yellow, Orange, Green peppers remove seeds and wash then cut into 6 length way pieces.

Put all the peppers into a large bowl and add in

3-5 Tablespoons of oil

1     Teaspoons of Italian seasoning

Salt and pepper to taste

If you like spicey you can add chilli flakes or powder. 

Mix well.

Let these sit in bowl for a couple hours then mix them again and put right on the grill and let them get nice grill marks on both sides and serve.

CHICKEN CEASAR SALAD

Do you have bbq chicken leftover from the night before, make yourself a nice cool refreshing Chicken Caesar Salad.

I head of washed Romain Lettuce tear into bite size pieces cutting it will make the lettuce turn brown faster.

6 strips of bacon cooked crisp and broken up.

Fresh grated parmesan cheese to taste

Croutons I used the flavored ones.

Left-over chicken cut into pieces

Caesar Salad dressing

Put all ingredients in a large bowl except for croutons and hold back some bacon and parm cheese for the top. Mix in your Caesar dressing  once mixed add the bacon and parm cheese you set aside. I don’t add the croutons I put them in a bowl and let people add them as they go soggy if mixed all together.