COMFORT FOODS

Options
Babs_Admin
Babs_Admin ADMIN
edited June 2023 in Cooking with Babs!

We all have those foods that are our comfort foods when we are sick or just in a blah mood, they can help get us out of it.

Raisin butter tarts

I love butter tarts with raisins, but many friends love the pecan ones. I am probably the worst pastry maker, so I use the frozen tart shells

Butter tart filling

½ pound butter

2 eggs

1 and ½ cup of brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ cup milk

Mix all together its ok if some of the butter is still in little pieces.

I put the raisin or pecans in the tart shells before adding the mixture that way you get around the same number of raisins or pecans in each tart.

Add the mixture to just below the top of the tart shell. Then bake at 350 F until the tart shells are a nice golden brown and the top of the mixture looks light brown. Let cool before eating or you will get mouth burn so bad I know from experience.

Quicky Homemade pizza

I do cheat on this as for me to make dough and sauce its not worth my time.

I use a thin crust 4 meat frozen pizza from the store then I add my toppings layer by layer by layer for 1st I layer cheese on the frozen pizza then pepperoni then cheese then ham then cheese then mushroom and onions then cheese then bacon more cheese then I add some of all the toppings on the last layer and more cheese. Its quick and easy and saves the mess of making dough and sauce.

Make sure you have the frozen pizza on whatever you are cooking it on as if you try to lift it before its cooked its going to break.

SHRIMP EGGROLLS

1 bag of medium size shrimp about 1 pound shelled and tail removed cut into 3 pieces per shrimp.

1 stalk celery finely chopped.

4 bags of bean sprouts

¼ cup of soya sauce

Salt pepper

1 teaspoon if curry this adds a very nice flavour.

2 packages of egg roll wraps

Cornstarch water mix for sealing the egg roll.

Put everything except egg roll wraps and water cornstarch mix into a pot put lid on pot and let it steam for about 5-10 minutes stirring every couple minutes.

Let this mixture cool then once cool wrap the egg rolls as per the package using the cornstarch water mix on the last part as you wrap the egg roll to seal. Make sure they seal well as they will explode if not sealed right.

Put 4-6 egg rolls in your deep fryer at a time and cook til a nice golden brown.

I make larger batches and once cool I vac seal and freeze.

HOMEADE CIN BUNS AND BREAD AND GARLIC CHEESE BUNS

I will add the recipe for the cinbuns and breads the next time i make it as i do not measure to make the dough i just eyeball the measurements.

Show us your favourite comfort foods please add the recipe if you make them yourself so we can all enjoy.